Saturday, January 12, 2013

Why President Obama Could Easily Be Impeached Over the Debt Ceiling If Congress Fails to Raise It

Not my own essay, of course, but very interesting to read.

http://verdict.justia.com/2013/01/11/why-president-obama-could-easily-be-impeached-over-the-debt-ceiling-if-congress-fails-to-raise-it

I don't think that Republicans would be so reckless as to commit political suicide to ensure Obama's impeachment (he wouldn't get convicted/removed anyway, especially with Democrats in charge of the Senate).  I find it interesting because of the theoretical conundrum for any president: how to enforce the laws faithfully when they conflict with one another, a puzzle I had not considered before.

Ideally, a president should wait for Congress to untie the legal knot so that he/she does not have to try to do so unilaterally.  But with a deadlocked or intransigent Congress, it's unclear to me as to what any president could do.  The article's prescription, to find the "least unconstitutional" option, seems best, I suppose.

No comments: